5.04.2011

Promise Breaker

We've been feathering the ol' nest over the past month (and will continue to do so in the coming months, I'm sure) and this past week I finally got around to painting the "accent wall" in the living room (which needed to be done before we could hang my surfboard, to free up the hallway so I can hang more photos, etc etc).  Now, Nathan has pretty much given me free reign regarding decorating the apartment (he insists he has no eye for that sort of thing, which I think is a lie but if it's a lie that comforts his Manliness then I'll go along with it), and when I selected a red couch-cover I was exceptionally jazzed to paint one wall a complimentary red.  Red wall!  The rapture!  When Nathan expressed concern that it might be too dark (for some reason apartments in the PNW simply do not believe in overhead lighting for living areas), I assured him that I'd go with a lighter shade of red.

"You mean pink," he said, sounding appalled.

"No no, not pink.  Lighter red!"

"Light red is pink.  Do not paint the wall pink.  I do not want a pink wall."

"I'm not going to paint the wall pink!" I insisted.  "You'll see- it will be great!"

We went to the store and picked up paint samples, and I got a variety, and lay them out across the afore-mentioned red couch for Nathan to veto.  "I really don't care," he said after giving them a glance.  "You pick."

So pick I did, and I picked Strawberry Daquiri, a nice, vivid shade that I was positive would be more red than pink once it was up on the wall.  I spent a few hours slathering it over the hideous khaki, then stepped back to admire the effect.  Which was, as intended, quite vivid.

I'll give Nathan this- he kept a straight face as I kept repeating, in a hopeful voice, "See how red it looks in this light?  Definitely red."

"Uh huh," he said, still with the manfully straight face.

But gentle readers, that wall is magenta.  It is a straight-up magenta wall, and I have it on pretty good authority that magenta, although technically defined as "purplish red" is, in fact, somewhat pink.

::sigh::

Oh well.  It still looks awesome, and the comics nerd in me can't help but be pleased at punch by it's addition to my cyan bathroom and yellow hallway...

In other productive news, I added about two-thousand words to the novel today, after culling about 600.  I'm meeting up with one of my alpha-readers this weekend to discuss his thoughts (although first he'll need to be caught up on all the changes I've made since I originally sent him the barely fleshed bones).  I've sort of be alternating days between art and writing... here's hoping I will eventually find the balance.  It would help, I'm sure, if I didn't work 40 hours a week elsewhere... but hey, mouths and feeding and all that, right?  Right.

And now to bed- well, to read, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are coming together out there. I'm ready to read this story... I thought I had your email somewhere but apparently my gmail decided to purge it. In any case can you email me your new address. I have something I want to get in the mail to you.

    ReplyDelete