5.24.2011

Iris Eyes are Smiling

Further adventures in PS

Now that the weather is so very lovely on such a regular basis, I've taken to walking home from work more often than not.  It's about a mile and a half, which is just long enough to be a really pleasant sort of meander, during which time I can get a lot of good thinking done.  Most often the thinking has to do with whatever creative project I'm working on (when I was in college my fellow art majors and I would gripe about how people thought we spent so much of our time sitting around doing "nothing", but the reality was that we were churning through ideas before committing them to the tangible world) or perhaps the dreaded Feelings.  Today, however, I was putting a lot of thought into What Sort of House I Want.

WSoHIW has been on the brain quite a bit lately, and as such I've been using my walks home to explore the neighborhood that I've been thinking of settling into.  Today I was doing more than just enjoying the area, however- today I was actively looking at houses (and their gardens- hence the title of this post) with an eye to what appeals to me on an aesthetic basis.  Which is how I can now tell you with assurance that a house without a porch is an ugly thing to me: I fact I was not aware of until this afternoon.  It doesn't even have to be a big porch- a little tiny one will do- but it can't just be a door set in the flat face of a building.  No depth makes it seem... ominous, somehow.  Furthermore, if the windows are small it's a definite no-go- again, something I didn't realize until I started to analyze my reactions to the various houses on my route home.

Funny, isn't it, the things that do or don't appeal to us?

It's karaoke night, but I don't know that I have it in me to sing: I'm feeling queasy (I over-indulged in the lemony squash-and-cream ravioli I made).  But I do have it in me to enjoy time spent with friends, and that's really what this little tradition is about, anyway...

PS: I've been watching The Dresden Files on Netflix and man- it's like they went out of their way to hire awful actors and actresses for that show.  The episode I just got done watching features a woman that I'm pretty sure was a failed clone of Moreena Baccarin.

No comments:

Post a Comment