5.20.2011

Best Friends and Brush Pens

So my best beloved Katie girl gave me a "just because" present a few weeks ago: a copic pen.  It is a lovely and excellent instrument, and I've been a'doodlin' with it:

(Check out the variety of line I can get with just one tool!)

That explosion of stars on the right is me prepping for my "next project".  Yup, once I finish the rewrites of "the novel" (and submit them to the ol' Betas) (also, will I ever be able to not want to put quotation marks around that phrase?) I will busy myself with something that's been percolating for about four or five years...  just a very short comic, between three to six pages.  Anyway it requires a crap ton of stylized stars, so... brush pen to the rescue!

The truth of the matter is that I actually find it very satisfying to fill a page with... how would you put it... design?  Pattern?  I'm not sure.  But there are pages in my sketch book that are nothing but waves and weaving pattern.  So soothing... and I think the finished effect can look pretty good, too.  Like phone doodles gone wild!  I just find it an amusing, almost "secret-shame"-esque trait of mine, since I'm so friggin' adamant about being a figuragtive artist damn it!  Speaking of which....

(Nathan liked this doodle, so I thought I'd put it up, too)


Headed out to the coast tomorrow- because surfing soothes what ails ya'.

2 comments:

  1. Mayhap I missed something (forgot something?) Why does your jaw hurt all the time? Is this a wisdom teeth event? Anyways, I agree with Nate. The lady in the ball dress is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaw hurts from clenching it a lot lately. I've been slacking on ye olde meditation and the like... Glad you like the ball gown chick- I was listening to the Prom edition of This American Life. ^_^

    ReplyDelete