6.12.2010

Subject Switcheroo

We’re down in Prattville this weekend, so we took advantage of our proximity to Tim and Meredith to pop down to their place and hang out/have dinner with them (and of course their lovely daughter-whom-I-shall-call-Leafy). We decided that the weather called for grilling, so Nate and I brought over some steaks and corn-on-the-cob (note to self: farmer’s market is open again- make it a point to get corn from there from now on), Nate worked his marinating magic, and then Tim wielded fire and turned it all into food. Good stuff, good stuff.

Whenever we get a chance to get together like this, Nate and Meredith try to get some joint-photography going. Meredith has recently started experimenting with light painting, so it was suggested that that be the subject of tonight’s session, since Nathan is interested in learning more, as well. In the end Nathan didn’t actually end up taking any shots (he’d gotten a good one of Leafy earlier in the afternoon) but I think he learned a lot by working with Meredith on hers. Tim and I took turns being models and playing photographer’s-assistant (such is the fate of photographers’ spouses everywhere) and generally having fun. At least, I had fun- it’s always interesting to me to model for different artists, because everyone has their own methods. And I will say that it did not hurt my feelings at all when Meredith complimented my ability to keep still between shots rather than running to look at the camera… (A trait that pretty much comes from getting my training during Katie’s film-camera beginnings, I’m sure…)

Anyway the whole experience was just good, and it really illustrates how important creative community is when you’re an artist. That’s something I wish we had more of- or, rather, lived closer to. All our artist friends are scattered across the country, and it makes it difficult to get together and bounce ideas off one another like we did this evening. I look forward to the day when we can have more regular access to a Studio of peeps...

1 comment:

  1. We had a GREAT time and you were a GREAT model! thanks for coming over yous guys! ;)

    ReplyDelete