6.22.2010

A Fable

One day as AllMother was working on a new pattern for her Dance, Coyote, Her most vexing Child, came to see Her.

"I have no time to play with you, Coyote," She warned, not turning Her attention from the sequence she was laying out. "I am making you a younger sibling, and must concentrate."

"Of course, AllMother," said Coyote. "I would never dream of interrupting You. I will merely sit and watch."

"Hmph," said AllMother, for She knew She had not created Coyote to be passive. But She had created him to be full of contradiction, so it was possible he would contradict his own nature and sit quietly.

Coyote was still for many hours, watching the complex constellation AllMother wove. In time, She almost forgot he was there. Finally, he said to Her,

"What is it you are creating, AllMother? The steps seem far more elaborate than those I've seen You Dance in the past.

"You have not been around for all My Dancing," AllMother sniffed, "But you are correct- this pattern is trickier than many of the others I've used for animals. I have decided to create an emperor to rule over the lot of you, so that I may continue my Dancing uninterrupted," this last was said with a certain arching of celestial eyebrows.

Now, Coyote did not like the sound of this at all. Someone to keep an eye on him? No, thank you. He tended to get into his best mischief while AllMother was otherwise occupied, and he preferred to keep it that way. He did not voice this concern to AllMother, however, but instead said,

"What a clever idea, AllMother. I have long thought some of the animals could use someone to keep them in line. Especially Cat- she is always making trouble for the smaller animals,"

"Hmph," said AllMother, not buying this for a moment, but not entirely certain what Coyote might be getting at.

"In fact, AllMother, I think it might be a good idea if there was a proper group of us to welcome our new sibling- our new emperor. Shall I go and fetch my brothers and sister?"

"If you must," said AllMother in an irritated tone, but She was not really displeased: She loved an audience for Her Dance. "I will begin My Dance when the moon rises, so do not be late. And I'll have no distractions from you, Coyote, or I'll take your tail as penance."

"Of course, AllMother," bowed Coyote, and scampered off to gather a few particular animals.

The first of his sisters he found was Snake, who was sunning herself on a broad, flat rock. She hissed at him when he blocked her light.

"Don't be so ill-mannered, sister!" Coyote said with as much dignity as he could muster. "I've come from AllMother to summon you to Her latest Dance. She specifically told me to bring you, for you are to play a part," and he outlined exactly how Snake should enter and exit the Dance. Snake, swelling with pride, set off to practice as much as she could before the sun set.

Next Coyote went to visit Beaver.

"Say, brother!" he called out to the center of the lake. "I've come to ask you to be part of AllMother's newest Dance! It's a great honor, and she requested you in specific. Here are the steps you must contribute," as he was demonstrating, Otter popped up out of the water, too. "What about me?" she asked. "Is there a part for me to Dance?"

"Oh yes," said Coyote, and quickly sketched out another demonstration. "Mind you come one after the other, now, so that you don't trip up AllMother. Snake is to go on first of all, since she has not been blessed with any legs." Beaver and Otter nodded their understanding, then began rehearsing together.

Coyote also went to visit Rooster and Duck, to whom he gave similar instructions, then finally gathered up many of the smaller animals, who were prone to over-excitability. To them he said nothing but to show up by moonrise and keep quiet no matter what they saw, except at the end when they were to applaud with all the enthusiasm one of AllMother's Dances deserved.

Just before moonrise Coyote returned to where he had left AllMother, his entourage of siblings behind him. Those who had been given parts in the Dance held themselves with pride, although AllMother did not observe anything out of the ordinary- She was too fixated on the Dance She was about to perform.

The moon cleared the trees, and She began to Dance.

Once She had completed the first circuit, Coyote nudged Snake with his nose.

"You're on, little sister!" and Snake moved twist lithely about AllMother's flashing ankles, although she was careful never to actually touch Her.

"Now you," Coyote hissed to Beaver, who was followed by Otter, Rooster, and last of all Duck. So well did each of the animals Dance their parts that AllMother never even noticed them slipping in and out of Her pattern. At last She came to the end of Her Dance, ending with a flourish and a triumphant pose. All the animals applauded their approval and admiration, then fell silent as AllMother stepped to one side to reveal her new Creation.

It was... less than impressive. Coyote stifled a snicker as the new creature shook itself awake, slapping its broad tail for emphasis. It was a squat little thing, covered in dense brown fur and sporting paws that looked ideal for swimming or digging. It opened its rubbery bill in a goofy grin and said,

"Hello!"

The smaller animals burst into fits of giggles, and AllMother narrowed Her eyes. This was not at all what She had planned for Her animal emperor.

"Hello, my son," She said gently, picking him up to cradle him at Her breast. The new creature closed his bright eyes in pleasure as She tickled him under his chin. "My what lovely spurs you have," AllMother commented.

"Have I?" replied the creature, sounding surprised and craning his head around for a look.

"You have," said AllMother, smiling in spite of Herself. "I'm sure they will come in handy for you. I think I shall call you Platypus, and you shall be a bringer of mirth."

"Oh that sounds nice," said Platypus, closing his eyes again. "I think I shall like that."

"I'm sure you shall," and She put him down carefully in a small stream.

"The rest of you may go," She gestured at the other animals. "Thank you for coming to see My Dance." They moved away from Her, talking in excited tones about their new brother.

"Not you, Coyote. You must stay." Her voice was sharp. Coyote froze where he was, trying not to cringe.

Once they were alone, AllMother raised Her celestial brow once more.

"I believed I warned you what the punishment would be if you interfered with My dance, Coyote,"

"Strictly speaking, AllMother, you warned me against distracting You. Which I did not do. I sat in one place for the entirety of Your performance." AllMother pursed her lips.

"Why I ever gave you the gift of semantics is beyond me," She muttered to Herself.

"He really was a brilliant creation," Coyote offered. "I haven't seen so much shared laughter amongst the animals since... well, ever."

"Perhaps," AllMother admitted.

"And You wouldn't really want us to have an emperor, anyway," Coyote continued. "Can You imagine the pranks I would be forced to pull on an emperor?" AllMother laughed.

"Alright, Coyote, you win. Now get away before I change My mind and dock your tail just on principal."

And that is how the Platypus came to be.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered how the Platypus came to be. Very cool story. Many kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete