6.03.2010

OMG Serenity Fanfic!!!11!1!one!!

!!!!!SPOILERS FOR SERENITY AND THE TIE IN COMIC FLOAT OUT!!!!!

(In other words, Mom, you're not allowed to read this one yet. I mean it.)



Okay, so what you need to know is that this highly unusual posting came about in a fit of rage. Wait- let me give you some background.

I am a huge Joss Whedon fan. This should come as a suprise to exactly zero percent of you. One of Whedon's best works is the show Firefly and it's follow-up movie, Serenity. If you haven't seen them, you should stop reading this at the end of this paragraph, go buy the dvds of everything (it's worth every penny and then some), watch them, and get back to me. I'll wait.

*

**

***

**

*


Okay, so, now you understand my love, and also you know that Wash is dead (feel free to cry. A lot. I still do.) So you might also understand why I was more than a little excited to get my paws on the Wash-centered Float Out, which I managed to do today.

Man, what a load of steaming disapointment. The story was crap (moreover it was confusing crap- I had to keep going back to re-read to try to figure out what the hell was going on), and the art was whatever excrement crap produces. And it just... it just really pissed me off. And all I could think was, "Man, I could do so much better than this!" And then I couldn't stand it a moment longer- I whipped out my netbook and threw down a far more fitting tribute to Wash (one which included the same "big reveal" as the comic- which, come on- was not that big of a friggin' reveal).

I rewrote it and did the thumbnails, then came home and rewrote it a third time, and did thumbnails for that. And you, gentle readers, now get script and thumbnails, and will eventually get the finished product (which I don't expect to be longer than two pages- more likely one, because I was trying to write something I could finish in a reasonable span of time- and it will be b&w unless I get totally carried away) because hot damn Wash deserved better than that.

I'm just sayin'.

I don't have a title for it yet- feel free to suggest. And for those of you who love the Firefly universe as much as I do, please give me your honest feedback- was I true to the characters?

(note- you'll notice this is an exceptionally loose script- that's 'cos I don't have to worry about explaining the layout for another artist)

(obligatory disclaimer- all characters are the intellectual property of Joss Whedon, who doesn't even know I exist, let alone that I'm toying with his creation- in other words, this is done without knowledge or approval. Furthermore, I'm not doing this for money or glory or to infringe on anybody's copyanything- I'm just doing it because I'm pissed off about bad storytelling and worse art.) (please don't sue me, kthnxbye)

"Working Title: Better Than Float Out"

We begin with a field of stars, then pull back enough to reveal a woman’s profile- it’s Zoe, face turned upwards, eyes closed. A further pull back reveals that she is not outside- she’s in Serenity’s cockpit, specifically in Wash’s old chair. One hand rests on her flat stomach, the other holds a toy dinosaur. One more pull back reveals River, Kaylee, and Simon watching from the door.

“Why do you think she does that?” Simon asks. Kaylee give a little shrug.

“It makes her joyful…” says River, hand hovering near her abdomen.

“Zoe’s joyful?” asks Kylie, wrapping an arm around Simon’s. “Seems mighty unlikely, what with Wash so recently… well, what with Wash bein’ gone, and all.”

“Not Zoe. The baby.”

What baby?” says Simon, looking sharply at River.

Kaylee looks at Zoe’s hand resting on her stomach. Her eyes go wide. “Ohhhh…”

“But, but…” stammers Simon.

“I wonder why it makes her joyful…” says River.

Kaylee looks at Zoe, then at the dinosaur. “I don’t,”

Full shot of Zoe smiling gently, still face-up to the stars, with ghostly Wash face smiling amongst them.


(Click to Embiggen) (Totally stole that phrase, yes I did.)


(PS don't hurt your brain trying to figure out what's in the third-to-last panel: it's a scribbled-out screw up)

2 comments:

  1. http://dreamcafe.com/firefly.html

    - Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so if that's the Steven Brust I'm assuming it is, then I feel way less lame about my little bit of fan-fic-ing, 'cos apparently I'm in good company... I'll be reading that later today fo sheezy. ^_^

    ReplyDelete