4.22.2010

Here, Have a Slice

The alarm goes off at 0655- I hit snooze. I will get up two alarms from now.

The alarm goes off at 0705- I hit snooze. I will get up the next time the alarm goes off.

Nathan's alarm goes off. I bolt upright because I know that Nathan's first alarm goes off at 0745. I start work at 0800.

(Not today, apparently.)

I'm already late, so there's no point in getting frantic- I eat breakfast at a normal rate, and even bother to apply makeup (not always a given, for me) so that I'm at least professional looking. I tell myself that as long as I'm there before 0900 (when we open) I'll be fine.

I clean up cat vomit. Sigh.

I get to work well before opening, well before my (also late) boss.

The day drags.

And it's not the sort of I-have-nothing-to-do drag. It's the I-just-finished-six-separate-projects-how-is-it-only-1028?! drag. I chalk it up to karma- the universe is making me feel as though I am working the time I missed.

I deal with clients- bad, good, and indifferent. I eat too many stuffed shells for lunch. I regret it. I text my best friend for sympathy, which she withholds, but then gives. I feel better.

More clients.

I pay off medical bills- I find it soothing to erase my "debt" one statement at a time. I chat with best friend for over an hour- it's good. I go home and discover that everything in the mailbox is for me. I open them in order of perceived excitement: bill, package from Magellan's, letter from my brother. I deal with the bill and feed the cats, then open the package- travel laundry kit attained! Then I change into long shorts and a tank-top and take the letter from my brother outside, to read in the sunshine. I also bring a notepad and pen, so I can write him back immediately.

The letter is good- written on water-resistant paper, which always makes me smile. I scribble back seven pages about how there isn't a lot going on in my life (but apparently quite a bit in my head). I end it with a satisfying drawing of Dr. Temperance Brennan and Agent Seeley Booth. I miss my brother. I yearn for a new tattoo. I decide to go for a walk.

I call my mom while walking to the dog park. We chat about Pride and Prejudice (gearing up for our Discussion this weekend). I get to the park and we keep talking until she has to go eat dinner. I sit and watch dogs play, comparing them to their perceived owners. I marvel at the social interaction amongst the canines, so much like children. I make up narratives for them, and wonder if I'd rather have a baby or a puppy. I compare and contrast the two. They both seem to be quite a bit of bother, and I wonder if I'd rather not have either. Or any animal, for that matter. I wonder if the dog-owners think I'm creepy for sitting on a bench and watching other people's dogs play.

I walk home. I am barked at by two (of five) dogs, and hailed by one (of three) kid. I ponder the fact that so few people ever say "Hello," to strangers anymore. I call Nathan to see if he's home yet.

He is.

And then I'm home, too, and I start an episode of Bones while he prepares our dining-in date: grilled pork chops, asparagus, and pineapple. We watch another episode while we eat- it's very good. I settle in to write a blog.

I think with satisfaction that I have a good life.

2 comments:

  1. No doubt. Sounds like a pretty good day. I do hate that feeling of "Oh-crap" I"m late. Hasn't happened to me in a while (knocks on fake-wood desk), but you never get used to the feeling.

    Sounds like a pretty good meal. I've become quite a fan of asparagus, since we have added it to our meals. And Rylie likes just about everything green so, it's good for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh delicious asparagus- I still remember the first time I had it done properly, and it was like the heavens parted and the angels sang and I couldn't BELIEVE I'd been missing out for so many years. Nate does a mean grill-job, but I also love 'em just blanched with a little bit of butter and salt... yum!

    ReplyDelete