7.03.2016

Pretty Pots

While my mom was visiting, she and I went out to lunch at the most exquisite little bakery.  Everything was so delicious-looking that I actually took a gluten-pill so that I could indulge a little.  In addition to lunch, we each ordered a dessert, and then shared (obviously).  One of the desserts we ordered was a pot de creme, and it was fabulous.  So fabulous, in fact, that I got a bee in my bonnet about making my own.

I found myself a promising recipe for caramel pot de creme, but suddenly realized that I wouldn't be able to make it because I didn't have any ramekins!  Tragedy!  But then, when I went to visit Oma and Opa, I happened to ask Oma if she could help a sistah out, and sure enough, she could.

To the kitchen!
All the finest things.
I used farmer's market eggs, because obviously in a custard egg quality is exceptionally important.  I also used my Secret Weapon, which is a vanilla extract made for me by Adam and SCurry using bourbon from the distillery where Adam works.  Everything I make using the Secret Weapon automatically becomes 3x more delicious.  True fact.
Whisking and whisking

And then I poured water into the pan.
Vintage floral!

They came out super rich and delicious- too rich, really, for the size I made them in (my newly-acquired ramekins being twice the volume recommended by the recipe) .  But honestly, it was kind of fiddly/pain-in-the-ass-ish to make, to the point where this is one dessert I'm going to officially categorize as Worth Buying.

Still, you never know until you try, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment