6.04.2016

Character Building Experience

A buddy of mine had a little D&D "character creation" party tonight, so Neeps got to spend some quality time with Daddy while I remembered what it's like to be out of the house past 8pm.

I went in not really knowing what I was going to do, which is a bit unusual for me.  But the truth of the matter is that I hadn't had much spare time/mental energy to devote to it, so I figured I'd just stat out one the characters from a past story.  After all, it's always a fun mind puzzle to make your ideas fit within someone else's rules.  I had a vague notion that I might like to create a paladin, based on a conversation I'd had earlier in the week with my mother, and it just so happens that one of my old stories is about a bunch of (essentially) paladins.  Perfect.

In the end I think I did a fairly decent job of it- the only problem was that she pretty much 100% was not going to work with the more rogue-like characters the others created.  Not that I don't have faith in my DM to come up with a scenario in which she feasibly be hanging out with them, but... not without it running too incredibly counter to her personal story.  Which, obviously, is the problem with coming to the table with an out-of-world character.

So.

The more I thought about it on the drive home, the more I realized that I was just going to have to redo the whole thing.  Same basic premise, but without any of the backstory baggage- and with a few tweaks to make it more likely for my lawful good paladin to hook up with a bunch of mischevious hooligans (interesting side note: I've never actually plated lawful good before- it should be interesting, if no one kills my character for being too pedantic first).

I may very well type up her backstory for a future blog entry... after I've gotten her new stats worked out, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment