9.02.2012

It's Biblical!

Call me a 12-year-old boy, but I was super stoked to learn about the following bible passage during today's sermon:

Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth: a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.   (Proverbs 5:18-19)
Good 'ol Solomon.

Yes that is right: my husband is commanded to be delighted by my breasts at all times.  I am 100% okay with this.  Next time he starts to get irritated with me for being quarrelsome and driving him to the roof I'ma point meaningfully and be all "Hey!  Let's get some delight up in here!"

(In other news, I've decided my angels need hair as stylized as the wing and halos I give them.  And I toyed with the idea of giving them flaming eyes but right now I'm not digging it...)

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Don't think I've mentioned this, but my wife is a biblical scholar. She is quite fond of this passage, too, and has no hesitations about bringing it up. =)

    She's also quite fond of the Song of Songs, and has no truck with scholars who want to theologize all the obviously hormonal, erotic language into "a love affair between God and the Church" or some nonsense.

    Bless the old scholars and rabbis of millennia past! who didn't have anything like the hang-ups on actual bodies as most church-y folks today do, and decided that these passages also belonged in a sacred text as part of the human experience.

    tim w.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness yes to the human experience. Especially the parts that involve delight. (Your wife sounds awesome. Which is really no surprise.)

      My brother-in-law is a pastor (more exciting is his other title, Master of Divinity!, which yes must be written with an exclamation point) and good for all sorts of biblical minutia- I need to harass him for not bringing this one to my attention sooner. Or... possibly that would have been weird?

      Delete