9.06.2012

Getting There


Start: Vancouver Wa
End: Somewhere over the Atlantic

Last night was somewhat less than restful, since the newly formed Super Duo of Annoying Dog and No Time Sense Rooster were at it again, putting their powers together to overcome the evils of a full night’s sleep (“Baaaay!” “Crow!” “Baaaaay!” “Crow!”).  This has been an intermittent Thing for the past week or so, and it makes me want to shoot everything.

Today I’m thinking it’s not such a big deal, however, as it might help us sleep on the flight between Chicago and Dublin.  I can usually force myself to sleep on a plane, regardless, but Nathan (who was up past 0100 finishing work for the Evil Empire) finds it well nigh impossible, even drugged to the gills.

Todd shows up to get us around 0830, and is surprised by our lack of luggage- we only have two backpacks (and, okay, one purse), and one of those backpacks is full of camera equipment.  That’s how we rolled in the UK, too- about twenty pounds on each of our backs, so no one gets to feel martyred.  Except today I am rocking a still less-than-100% ankle, and so Nathan keeps taking away my bag to carry them both, while I wield my cane menacingly.

Speaking of which, although I don’t really need the cane at this point, it sure does make it nice when it comes to boarding early.  Unfortunately I let my integrity get the better of me on the way off the plane, and I wait to let others past me first, since we’ve got an hour and a half until our next flight leaves.

Um, except it turns out that our flight is already boarding- and we have to exit and re-enter security to get to it.  We ask one of those beepy cart guys for a ride, and are told sourly that he’s been called for a specific person and we can go back to the gate and ask for them to call one for me, and hope that one shows up.  Awesome.  So instead we just stump as quickly as I can… and it’s possible that my husband stole a semi-functional wheelchair at this point but let’s not get too much into that…
They've only themselves to blame
We do make it to our flight in time, although without the stops for restroom use or food acquisition we’d been counting on (we were starving), and find ourselves seated next to a first-time international flyer.  Who wants to chat.  A lot.

Fortunately the arrival of Movie Time quiets him down pretty well, and Nathan and I are free to lose ourselves in our respective movies (5 Year Engagement and Wrath of the Titans), and eventually discover that sleep isn’t really going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment