8.13.2012

Mrs. Hare

When you are a military brat, you develop a very special sort of relationship with your grandparents.  Because you so rarely see them, seeing them is Very Special, indeed.  And if you are very lucky, you have the sorts of grandparents who make an effort to keep close to you even if you don't see them more than once a year or two.

I was very lucky.

I was going through some old papers this afternoon and came across some letters that my paternal grandmother had written me when I was young.  These letters took the form of stories- specifically stories about Mrs. March Hare and her relations.
Mrs. Hare missed her grandchildren, too.

Now the thing is, these stories are not technically proficient- they are riddled with instances of the passive voice, and changes in tense.  But they are wonderful, nonetheless, and I love them.  They brought me great joy as a child, and they bring me joy now, as an adult.  And it made me think that that's all I really want, when you get down to it- to tell stories that people love, that bring them joy in the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment