8.04.2012

Lake Leaping

We're down in Crater Lake National Park this weekend, visiting Eel and Bee (and their parents, of course).  It is unbelievably gorgeous here, and I wish we were staying longer.  This morning we went out to breakfast at the Lodge, then while the kids went down for a nap (in theory) Nathan and I went out and drove the rim, taking plenty of stops for photos.

My main goal was to actually get in to Crater Lake, so we hiked down the only trail with lake-access, where I discovered that not only could I wade or swim in Crater Lake's breath-steelingly-cold waters, I could jump into them from a high(ish) rock.

So you know what I did.

Twice.

It was a much shorter drop than the one I did in Hawaii, but it was still high enough (about 15-20 feet) that I didn't linger too long at the edge.  And I was grateful for the chill it brought to my body during the tedious hike back up to the rim- poor Nathan was dying, but I was comfortable as a clam.  A clam in cold water.

Anyway it got me thinking about arctic mermaids, which made me realize that really, mermaids are probably not the svelte or sinewy creatures I tend to draw them as.  Mermaids are more likely quite fat.  So here is a fat mermaid for you:
She is jolly because she is one of her tribe's very best huntresses.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is freaking awesome. Mermaids would definitely have a layer of blubber! I suppose they might still be seal-type sleek, because hydrodynamics blahblah, but they're definitely all hefty gals and kick-ass hunters. (They also have sports like endurance abyssal swims and extreme breaching.) You do not want to mess with those chicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a truly functional mermaid would definitely be sleek like seal or a whale, but I was having fun with fleshy folds... And now you've put in my head a vision of derby-girl-like mermaids, with black eyes and flying elbows. Excellent.

      Delete