2.28.2011

Bewilder

(a note- Be Wilder would also be an excellent title, just not for this particular entry...)

You know, I have just about the healthiest ego of anyone I know.  Yep, I am a Pretty Big Fan of Myself, and it makes me happy to be such.  And so it is a little strange to me that I find it so strange whenever anyone... well, likes me.  Or not anyone, I guess- obviously I am not surprised that my friends like me- they're practically contractually obligated to do so- but when people with whom I have less intimate relationships with express a fondness for me I am always a little befuddled.  I mean, I know that I'm amusing, but there is a difference between liking to be around someone and liking them enough to... well, give them stuff.

Two examples this very week- I had my Last Day of Work for each job, and at each place people gave me a going-away present.  My fellow BOAs- even some I've only met once!- all chipped in and got me a gift card for Target (to aid in decorating the new place).  I thought it was very sweet of them to do that, but then I flipped it over and instead of seeing the expected $20-$25, I saw that it was four times that, and let out a high-pitched squeak of a "Holy crap!"  I had no idea they liked me that much!  I mean, that's not just a token-gift, that's really nice!  And then my two favorite students at the gym gave me a gift card to the Cheesecake Factory (they told me they made sure there was one in Portland) which again- so sweet!  I got home and looked at the amount and again burst out "Holy crap!" I was expecting like $10 (enough for a piece of cheese cake) but they gave me enough for a meal!  For two!  Holy cow!

So now I am floating in a sort of bewildered glow- pleased that I made enough of an impression on people that they wanted to do something so nice for me when I left.  I had no idea...

(Also, I need to figure out a way to get my student a thank-you card... maybe I can have a fellow instructor take it to my class next week?)

No comments:

Post a Comment