2.23.2011

The Inability to Unsee

One of the major Plot Points of our move is that I am selling my wonderful car.  I've had my Civic for ten years, and I love her- I love my wonderful car that shuttled me around in the latter half of college, that took my surfboard and I to the coast once a week for two years, and that has carried me back and forth across the entire breadth of the States not just once but three times.  And when I look at my wonderful car, I see her just as I did ten years ago, the day that I purchased her: young and fun and kind of sporty.

But then I decided to sell her (for a variety of Very Sensible Reasons), which necessitated looking at her with an Objective Eye.  And I suddenly realized... she's not that car.  Or, rather, she is, but she's not in the same pristine condition I still saw her in.  She has all these tiny little scratches and dings and dents that I just never noticed before... but now that I've seen them I can't stop seeing them, and it's just horrifying me to realize that anyone might look at my car and see a ten year old vehicle instead of the gorgeous young thing I rolled off the lot in.  None of these things are bad, or really even flaws- it's just sobering to realize that time has not left my car unscathed.

::sigh::

(There's a metaphor for life in there, I just know it...)

But the bright side to this story is that I am selling her to a person who plans to use her for his daughter (turning sixteen soon) and that makes me happy because I think she really will be just an excellent First Car for a teenager.  She may not be "cool" (can a four-door sedan ever be "cool"?) but she's definitely not lame (poor Nathan was driving a minivan in high school), and most importantly can be counted on to get a body from point A to point B (not always a guarantee amongst my friends' cars when we were that age).

So there's that.  By Friday the 4th (the day we head out of here) we will be a one-car household.  It's definitely making our cross-country trip more bearable (I've done this with and without someone to share the drive: believe me when I say with is the preferable scenario), and it will save us a ton on insurance, etc (we're using the proceeds from my car to pay off the last bit of Nathan's- er, our Fit).  Plus let's face it- if you're living in/near Portland, you really don't need more than one car.  A lot of people have expressed horror that we're getting rid of my car ("You mean you're not getting a new one once you're up there?!") but I actually think it makes a lot of sense.  Expect to be kept updated on whether or not I end up eating my own words...



PS The weird thing is that, when I bought my car, I thought I'd have kids by now (hence the whole four-door sedan portion).  I don't, obviously- and that is a situation I am okay with- but it's still a little weird to be confronted with the Assumptions of One's Youth and the Refutations Thereof...

1 comment:

  1. We're going to miss you. But as long as you keep updating this blog, I'm sure you won't be forgotten.

    Hope your trip is as nice as it can be. Keep Nate out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete