3.20.2011

Neither Over the Hill Nor Under It


It’s my birthday!  And I’m 30.  And I’m pretty good with that.

We’ve been back in the Portland area for about three full days now, two of which were devoted almost solely to apartment hunting (bleh) and one of which has been devoted primarily to editing the travelogue (to be posted as soon as Nate finishes processing the photos) and talking on the phone to well-wishers (so nice to be internationally loved!)  I don’t know that I’ll be doing anything to rival last year’s Skateboarding Incident, but hey- the night is still young.

We really enjoyed our Road Trip (although that did not keep us from really enjoying it being over), and one thing that I found particularly valuable was the trip up the California coast- valuable to my story, that is, since the female protagonist travels through similar geography, and now I have a lot more detail I can add to the story.  Always a good thing.  Not to mention I’ve had at least three other Story Seeds spring up, which I will probably detail in the near future.  I’m anxious for us to get settled, because I want to get back into my Routine, which will include the first rewrite of the novel.  Oh rewrite, I dread you so- but you are so very desperately needed, and I think enough time has gone by that I can actually do a decent job at it.

We went to a wonderful party last night at a dear friend’s house, full of wonderful people (but then I guess that’s generally what makes a wonderful party).  There was good food and good drinks (Kraken black spiced rum was new to me, but I don’t intend to let it remain a stranger) and good conversation about passions, and of course the all-important dancing.  I look forward to re-establishing a community up here, and it’s heartening to have so quickly made some new friends to go along with the beloved old friends.  Joy joy joy…

Speaking of which, I have a job interview in the morning.  It’s in downtown Vancouver, and I’m feeling pretty positive about it, so fingers crossed that I will soon be once again gainfully employed.  Full-time, I mean.  With benefits.  Oh, wonderful benefits…

No comments:

Post a Comment