3.28.2011

Cardboard Labyrinth


This past Saturday Tavish helped us (and by “us” I mean primarily Nathan) manhandle all of our stuff out of the trailer, into a U-haul, back out of the U-haul, and into our new apartment- an apartment that hit most of our requirements, the only major flaw being the carpeting.  Shag, if you can believe it (didn’t we learn our lesson in the 70s, people?!) and I hate it more with each passing day.  But it’s a live-able flaw when held up against perks such as a dishwasher, in-unit washer/dryer, and its extreme proximity to my workplace (less than two miles- woo!).

Anyway, that means we’ve had our stuff in this place for over 48 hours, but you wouldn’t know it to look around this cardboard labyrinth.  Usually when I move into a place I’m a whirlwind of nesting until it’s presentable, but circumstances have not allowed me that luxury, and so the place is… well, it’s better than it was.  Most of the major pieces of furniture are more or less where we want them, and there are walk-able paths into every room, which there were not as of yesterday.  We ordered a new couch cover (deep red, because lord knows this beige box needs some freaking color) so that brought with it a certain sense of accomplishment…

The reason I haven’t been able to devote every waking moment to the gussying up of our place is because I started my new job this morning.  So far, so good, although I know it will take a while before I feel truly settled in.  I spent much of today getting rid of un-necessary paperwork… and, of course, performing such essential tasks as getting a wallpaper off National Geographic and putting up my photo of Nate and I.

And so our PNW lives are starting to take shape, and so far we are both quite pleased with the resulting form (rhombus, perhaps?).  Once we get everything out of boxes and arranged we can think about what colors to paint which walls… and also maybe about getting me a bicycle….

(In other exciting news, Nathan got a lot of photos processed today, so hopefully I’ll be able to put up the travelogue sometime this week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment