1.30.2011

Inquiry Letter

(Sent to WSSM)

I know what you're thinking- "Birmingham, Alabama? Isn't that darn near as close to land-locked as you can get in this country?" and you're right: the closest decent break is a good six hours from here. Nevertheless, Ruli (my 8'10" mini longboard) is leaned up against a wall in the bedroom I share with my (very tolerant) husband. Why? Because even tho' I'm landlocked, I'm still a surfer. And I have the stories to prove it.

Oh, they're not impressive stories, by any means. I've never surfed anything larger than said husband (who is six foot) and even that was with more spirit than style. But they're stories that I feel speak to any woman who got bitten by the surf-bug in her mid-twenties, set about teaching herself, and didn't let a little thing like living (at the time) two hours from the cold coastal waters of Oregon stand in her way. They're stories that speak to anyone who can remember that first, burning love affair with their board, and all the little triumphs that came with it.

I'd love to share some of my stories with your readers, if you think they'd like to hear them. Please let me know your submission requirements, and I'll be happy to comply.

Thanks for the consideration!

Jenny O

PS I also happen to be a visual artist, which means I can supply (or at least submit for your perusal) illustrations to go along with said stories. Just let me know!

1 comment: