1.23.2011

Hatchling

It was an honest mistake- one anyone could have made.  I mean after all, when you steal an egg from underneath a snake, you kind of expect that it will hatch into a baby snake, right?  I mean, wasn't that a logical expectation to have?  Filch a corn snake's egg, get a little corn snake to raise!  How was I to know I would end up with... this?

Obviously that mama snake was having some kinky cross-species sex, that's all I'm saying.  I mean, just look at this thing: long and scaly, sure, but tell me that's not a damn chicken head on top!  Or maybe rooster- I'm not all that up on my domesticated fowl.  Although I guess I am pretty sure they don't have teeth... but this little monster sure as hell does.  Not that he's bitten me, mind you, but you should see what he can do to a baby mouse.

And see these little ridges back here?  They keep getting bigger, and the skin looks thinner and thinner, and damned if I don't think he's going to sprout wings in a day or two.  So what does that make this little guy, huh?  Some sort of dragon?  Mighty puny dragon if you ask me.  But... not so bad, really.  I mean, look at  how pretty the patterns in his scales are.  And see this?  This little affectionate curling thing he's doing right now?  You have to admit, that's pretty sweet.  So maybe he was a mistake... but maybe I don't mind so much.  After all, how many snakes do you know that can paralyze with a glance?

4 comments:

  1. You and I went similar directions with this...or at least that'll be the case once I finally write it. I am going with the egg thing, just not one that anyone would have expected to hatch at all. Never mind what's inside of it. Oooooohhhh, teaser.

    You're right. Not your most riveting work. I like the vaguely southern internal voice you go to sometimes. Feels a little... I don't know, rushed? Were you trying to beat the clock on getting this done? Not judging mind. Not like I've finished mine even still. Just has an unfinished feel to it.

    Which brings up another question. Are we shooting for finished product with these exercises? I know we're not really expecting a weekly edit, but should we have been going for beginning middle and end stories/scenes here? Or have we just been aiming at excerpts? That's pretty much been my treatment of it all. Provide an excerpt of the larger story, theme, concept, etc. Stop when you feel you've gotten the point across...or whenever you feel like it.

    ...I wonder if we should make this a bigger deal. Mayhaps we haven't been taking this seriously enough.

    ....I'm expounding my own BS on your blog in the comments of your exercise....sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a much better thing that I wrote last year about this sort of idea:

    http://ohnojennyo.blogspot.com/2010/03/here-there-be.html

    But I didn't want to "cheat" by re-using the idea for our writer's group. Probably I should have, and just expanded upon it... ah well.

    This feels rushed 'cos it WAS rushed. I was of the, "let's just get this done" mindset, which is rarely a good one for producing quality work. <=/

    I don't know about the finished product- I always just sort of thought we were doing excerpts: really the only thing we COULD be doing, given the types of prompts. But I'd actually prefer to make it a bigger deal, take things more seriously. I'd like to get feedback on my actual on-going projects, as opposed to churning out more and more snippets. Maybe we need to start branching out in terms of what we're doing- you know, tweak assignments for the individual members...

    Maybe we should take this discussion over to the actual CtW blog? Probably the others will have opinions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall beat you both with sticks if you keep making me hunt for comments.

    ReplyDelete