5.11.2010

Ugh (I'm So Vain)

I knew it was going to happen eventually. It's kind of the major problem with being a Muse (as opposed to being Amusing, which has an entirely different set of troubles). Enough people take your photograph and/or draw/paint/whatever your image, and sooner or later someone is going to not just turn out an image you don't like, but actually use the damn thing for their 365 Project.

My husband, of course, insists that it's not unflattering at all. He is obviously biased and a bit touched in the head (and also enchanted with the colors, something I cannot really fault him for because he did capture some sumptuous colors on that bad boy). And lest you think this is some sort of compliment-fishing scheme on my part, I want to point out that I am not questioning my own level of attractiveness (which I happen to think is quite high, thankyouverymuch)- I am speaking as an artist (both one who creates images and one who inspires them) critiquing an image of a person and whether or not said image portrays them in the most flattering light.

Which this image most decidedly does not (well, minus the ironic fact that the lighting itself is one of the most flattering you can get- "golden hour" and all that...). For instance, the placement of various shadows give me a pronounced brow-ridge, emphasize the bags under my eyes, and over-define the folds around my mouth, all of which add haggard years to my appearance. And speaking of my mouth just what the hell was I doing with it? I don't know! It's weird and uncomfortable to look at. Also my hairline appears freakishly straight. And I'm squinting. But that's only to be expected since I was looking into the sun, which normally I can do just fine for photos but if I'm forced to hold it for too long (which I was, in this instance) the result is Unflattering Squint.

Basically what I'm saying is that I am dissatisfied in a professional capacity with the image I helped to create. But since my artist is pleased with it, it doesn't much matter; he didn't take that photo for me, he took it for him- and he likes it. So I just need to suck it up and enjoy the colors.

Or something.

Now, all that being said, it is a good photo, technically speaking (just not of me); you've got your composition broken into thirds, your extreme sharpness, and of course the gorgeous, gorgeous contrast. The play of light across my irises (emphasized by the shadow of my lashes) is especially pleasing, and the copper-red of my hair just glows against that diffuse green and blue background. Strictly speaking I think it's not the best cropping choice on the lower part of the image (and not just because it emphasizes the roundness of my face) but I don't think that was actually chosen- I think it's just how the shot ended up being framed. All in all, it is a good photo....

...just not of me.




(Also, I think it's only fair to point out that Nathan did offer to take it down, once he realized how much I truly dislike the image- but I told him if he did so he'd waste a perfectly good blog entry... ;) No but seriously- I meant what I said. He didn't take that shot for me, he took it for him, and he likes it- so as long as he's satisfied with it I don't mind so much. Besides, it's probably good for my character to see images of myself that aren't 'perfect'...)

6 comments:

  1. I find it tough to look at pictures of myself. However, it does seem that you can find some good points in the photograph. I thought the positives certainly outweighed any negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a very stunning picture of you in a very natural kind of way. I think we're always too critical of ourselves, and as you can see I've only posted one image of myself so far and Nathan hasn't posted any of himself. Just goes to show that even though an image can be beautiful, it might not always realistically portray what someone looks like, especially to that particular person. Maybe try "dressing up" next time. Be somebody different and see what that yields. It's worth a try... and from now on, Nathan better get your permission first before he posts!! lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim- I always like pictures of you- although the one of you shaving was REALLY WEIRD because it didn't really look like my "mental image of Tim", since it didn't have glasses! But I still liked it...

    Merdis- Oh but he HAD posted images of himself- they're just distorted reflections. Wonder what THAT says about his psyche... I would totally love to do a "dress-up" session, but so far each attempt has ended in tears and recriminations... (...not really...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should have fired off some fill flash. my bad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your total bad. No cookies for you.

    ReplyDelete