2.10.2010

Early Valentine's Day

I will be out of town this Valentine's Day, which was to have been our first as a married couple. Never ones to be slaves to dates on a calendar (I think most military brats are that way) we decided to split the occasion in two and observe it at our leisure. The first half we celebrated tonight with a meal as the sublime Bottega in Southside, the second half will be celebrated once I get back by going to see The Wolfman (I'm sure there's a love story in there somewhere...).

One of the nicest thing about going out to a fancy restaurant is having the chance to get all dolled up, which I most certainly took advantage of. I wore this salsa-inspired red dress which is entirely too short for the current weather, but that's okay because it gave me an excuse to wear my uroma's ocelot-and-mink coat. Now, I do not generally condone the making of new fur coats- but by golly, if you happen to have a vintage one laying around it seems to me a damn shame not to wear it at least once in a while. Especially when it's so freaking cold outside and the fur keeps you oh-so-warm... heavenly...

Speaking of heavenly, the food at Bottega's really was divine. It is such a privilege to be present when food transcends sustenance and achieves art, and that is definitely what happened on our plates and tongues tonight. Not to mention the lovely bartender who, when he could not meet my request for hot cocoa or a hot buttered rum, brewed up a lovely concoction of bourbon, lemon, and honey that warmed me right up.

All in all a highly pleasant evening.

But back to me being out of town.

I leave for Portland tomorrow, and I'm not sure what my internet access will be. I'll still be writing every day, but the updates may come in chunks as I find wifi... so hang in there, loyal readers... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment