2.27.2010

Domesticity in the City

As I type this, Nathan is hanging up artwork in a manner most manly (power drills, and all that).

I must say, I'm pretty freakin' delighted.

See, here's the thing- I am the sort of person who is super excited about setting up a new household... for about four weeks. And if it doesn't get done within that time-frame, honey, chances are it's not gonna' get done. All my grand plans for sheer curtains that bring out detail-colors in the bedspread? Uh, no. A coffee-table that actually utilizes some sort of storage-solution? Mmm, not this time around. Art on every single one of my walls? Hah!

Except not 'hah', this time.

Oh, I'd managed to get up two triptych picture frames and three pieces of original art when we first moved in, but then the month was over, and my motivation was gone. And Nathan, wouldn't you know it, has never felt much of a desire to decorate- he is more than happy to leave that sort of thing to me. Which of course means that the majority of our walls have languished, bare, for almost a full year. Until now.

For Christmas I got several pieces of artwork framed for Nate. Although he expressed pleasure at his grown-up wall decorations, they have leaned up against a wall (behind a table, no less) for the past two months. That's kind of the way these things go. But then the other day a friend of ours clued Nate in to a sale that Mpix was having on their 8x10 prints, so he ordered a few (ie, twelve).

And suddenly, envisioning all his lovely prints in larger-than-life color, I felt motivated again.

So up goes the already-framed artwork, and as soon as the new prints come in they will go up, too (I've sussed out a good spot already). Also, I finally placed an order for my long-coveted 11x14 Family Portrait (of our combined nuclear clans) so once we pick that up I can start my Rogue's Gallery of family shots on the wall that I specifically left blank for such purposes (yes, it was specifically left blank. Definitely not a victim of laziness, no sir...). Not to mention I am now on a mission to find a place where I can get our kick ass hand-illustrated (by Nathan) wedding invitation blown up to movie-poser size. So far nobody seems to want to go bigger than 20x30, and that is not cutting it for me.

It makes me happy to see our place taking on more and more of our own artistic flavor. It's good. And I firmly believe that by surrounding ourselves with the fruit of our labor (and the labor of the occasional gifted other) we will continue to nurture our Creative Power Couple selves... Now I just need to start filling bookshelves with my own efforts...

No comments:

Post a Comment