10.18.2011

Detox: Day Two (or: Getting Your Screw Ups Over With)

You may have picked up by this point that I'm a rip-the-band-aid-off sort of person.  Not for me, the slow peel, the careful attempt at avoiding pain.  If something unpleasant needs to happen, just get it over with already- I'd rather spend the time in recovery than further dread anticipation.  So, you know, it's totally a good thing that it took me less than 48 hours to screw up on my detox!  Now I don't have to be worried about it anymore!

Woo!

...here's how it happened:

I'd brought to work a can of tuna-in-water for my lunch-time-enjoyment.  It was a 3oz can we'd had in our pantry for a while (one of a package of three), so although Nathan had bought me brand new tuna for the purpose of detox-snacking (yeah yeah, it's canned- but it's fish and water, no preservatives, so I feel like it's okay) I went ahead and brought the oldest one.  And I was about halfway through said can of tuna when I idly glanced at the ingredients label...

...and there it was.  My "tuna in water" was not tuna in water at all- it was tuna in water with broth!  And the broth has stupid soy in it.  Argh!

Perhaps I should have ditched the remaining 1.5oz, but Readers, I was hungry, and I decided that the trace amounts of soy I was imbibing was probably less of an evil than me being underfed.

Anyway it was an excellent lesson in reading all labels ahead of time, not just taking it for granted that the food is what the front label says it is (I checked the ones Nathan had bought- just good ol' tuna and water in those puppies) and I'd rather learn that lesson on day two, with my body still fairly tox-y (totally a word) than on day twenty, when I'm pure as driven snow.  Or something.

But here's today's menu...

Breakfast: smoothie consisting of lite coconut milk, frozen blueberries, about a cup and a half of spinach, and half a frozen honey crisp apple.  Pretty darn good.
Lunch: naughty tuna fish topped with salt and pepper, two mandarin oranges, two mackintosh apples (each one the size of a mandarin orange)
Snack: baby carrots
Dinner: spinach salad topped with chicken, peaches, and my vinagrette

Dinner was a bit tricksy today, because it was nerd night, and moreover it was my turn to feed the nerd herd.  The salad actually turned out to be an inspired choice, because I was able to bring over all the separate components, so I could make mine simple (and detox-kosher) yet add yummy things like blue cheese and walnuts and almonds to theirs (except not to Katie's salad, because she feels strongly that blue cheese "smells like what would happen if feet had armpits").  Happiness and hunger-satiation for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment