10.22.2011

Detox: Day Six (or: Spitting Out Perfectly Good Food)

It was a gorgeous day today, and I wanted more than anything to be out hiking in it... but I had obligations to keep that did not involve driving to the Gorge.

The first obligation (obviously) was to eat a delicious breakfast with my husband.  I do not handle raw meat if I can at all avoid it, so my portion of the prep involved slicing up a delicious honey crisp, while he cooked some delicious bacon (which he had himself brought home just the other day).

Nathan said, "Our bacon intake sure has gone up.  I guess that's because it's one of the few delicious things you can still eat."  Privately I've begun to consider bacon my own personal candy.


After that it was off to the market, to pick up the supplies for this next week.  I'd carefully made out my meal plan and shopping list, so we were in and out pretty quickly, our car loaded down with delightful vegetables (and the odd fruit).

The first real obligation was one I had made to myself: to begin working on my paper mache jack-o-lanterns.  I did a trial run the other day that came out less than stellar, but I learned a few things so I think these babies ought to come out better.  Here are some of them drying:

The best part about them is that they smell like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves!


I plan to make a few more tomorrow, with the help of my Katie.

After about three hours of carefully-mache-ing balloons, it was time for lunch.  Nathan made us lamb burgers and topped 'em with bacon, and it was so good I wanted to cry.  The romaine, while not quite so good as butter lettuce, was still definitely an excellent choice.

Candy burger!


Then it was back to pumpkin-making for another hour, and finally I had to wash off my hands and get gussied up for the wedding I was barista-ing at (the other real obligation, this one made to not-myself).  It was fun to sling shots again- and damn I'm good at banter.  But it was a special sort of torture not to be able to eat any of the food those sweet people offered me, and when they cut the cake I once again wanted to weep... but not from joy.

Cake, you guys.  Seriously.  It's like the Perfect Storm of currently-naughty-food: wheat, dairy, eggs, sugar.  ::sigh::

But since I'd anticipated such temptations, I just put another piece of honey crisp apple in my mouth and chewed.  (they really are my favorite of all the apples)

Once I got home I was more than ready for some real food, so I mashed up an avocado with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro.  It was so good that Nathan declared, "I'd eat that.  I'd spread it on a chip!"  And now I have a sweet potato in the oven, because I want something sweet.

Which brings us to me spitting out perfectly good food.  As I waited for the oven to pre-heat I thought to myself, "I could use just one more snacky thing before 'dessert'.  Ooo!  Edamame!"  Because, you see, I'd bought edamame earlier in the day because it's one of my favorite snacks, and hey, it's a veggie, right?  So I popped a few in my mouth and chewed exactly once when it suddenly came rushing back to me: 

Edamame is soy!

...and I cannot have soy right now.  So I spat my mouthful out in the sink and looked at it mournfully.  Man, I hate wasting food.

Breakfast:  about 1/4 of a honey crisp apple and three pieces of bacon
Lunch:  1/2 pound lamb burger made with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and basil, topped with bacon and enfolded in a leaf of romaine.  1/2 of a honey crisp apple
Snack: a honey crisp apple
Dinner: avocado mashed up with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro.  soon-to-be-sweet-potato

2 comments:

  1. I adore honey crisp apples. I speak of them *a bit too often* this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are my all-time favorite apple, which I only discovered just a year or two ago. The farmers markets around here overflow with them, which is HEAVENLY.

    ReplyDelete