10.21.2011

Detox: Day Five (or: So When Does This Start Working?)

First of all, here is a photo of some of the foods I am allowed to eat:

Clockwise, starting top left: honey crisp apples, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, RepairVite, sweet potatoes
Most of those things are delicious.  One of those things... not so much.  Ah well.

I've spoken with a handful of people who have cleansed themselves of gluten, and the general consensus is that they have never felt better, both physically and mentally.  And that sounds pretty good to me.  So my question is- when does that part start?  Because as of today I'm not feeling particularly "awesome" either in mind or body.

I don't want you to think that I feel bad: I don't.  In fact, I'm not feeling a lot of the swelling and aching I'd come to accept as part of my "now we are 30" life, but "absence of pain", while a huge relief, is not the same as "awesome".  And I don't feel like I've lifted any of the mental fog that I've descended into over the past year.  The worst part about it is that I can tell what's going on.  I know I'm not as sharp as I once was, and frankly it's pissing me off.

Anyway my point is I'm ready to be detoxed, now.

(Granted it might help if I didn't keep inadvertently cheating.  Hmmm...)

But on to today's menu!

Breakfast:  smoothie made with unsweetened coconut milk, raspberries, carrots, spinach, and peaches

I have to be honest- unsweetened coconut milk is not rocking my world.  This may be my last smoothie for the duration.  Or maybe I'll just switch to orange juice....


Lunch:  (I had to go into work early, which meant breakfast was early, which meant I had lunch at about 1050) left over pork loin and roasted veggies
Snack:  Two mackintosh apples and three mandarin oranges
Dinner:  pot roast with onions and carrots.  (something about this disagreed with me, because my system started protesting about an hour later... we think it may have been the fat content of the roast)

And now let's end with a picture of a typical morning's dosage:

clockwise, starting left: smoothie, fish oil, RepairVite concotion, vitamin D, vitamin B12+Folic Acid

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, five days including inadvertent cheating, eh... seems like the benefits will involve a little more time and a little more truly clean eating. I always feel that any benefits someone experiences before they've done anything for a week are flukish and not indicative or any real positive change (more a placebo effect of sorts).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pffft, Mark, I am an American and I demand my god-given right to instant gratification! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My energy levels took about 3 to 4 weeks to come back. Also, make sure you are getting enough protein. I'd recommend you have some sort of protein with every meal and snack. I think it might help a little with your energy levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, protein. I'm actually mentally composing a blog re:my meat intake (inspired by Chris's email to me!) so that will probably get posted later this week...

    ReplyDelete