10.17.2011

Detox: Day One

When my doctor first recommended the whole RepairVite thing to me she warned me that it was really hard, that she herself had done it and knew whereof she spoke.  And when I initially looked the literature over,  I agreed.  And in the following days as I combed the internet for info I came away frustrated and agreeing even further.  But then I sat down to try and make a meal plan (because I always feel better with a plan, even if I don't follow it) and I suddenly realized that it's not actually as hard as it could be.  Not for an omnivore-who-likes-to-cook-from-scratch, anyway.  And so I'm going to chronicle what I eat each day for the next three weeks (thrilling you loyal readers, I'm sure) in an attempt to provide some inspiration for anyone else out there going through the RepairVite Detox.

Before I lay it out, here is an abbreviated list of my NOs:

sugar (including honey)
alcohol
grains (including wheat, oats, and corn, amongst others)
high-glycemic fruits (most of them without a pit)
nightshade vegetables (think peppers)
mushrooms
potatoes
dairy (a category which, for some reason, includes eggs)
soy
lectins (ie any and every nut you can think of)
coffee
processed food
canned food

So there's that.  And here's this!

Breakfast:  Three pieces of bacon.  Not sissy bacon, either: thick-cut, peppered bacon the way nature (and our butcher) intended
Lunch:  Three more pieces of bacon and half a honey crisp apple (not what I'd intended, but I unexpectedly was home for lunch, so why  not) (more on that in a later, non-food-related post)
Snack: The other half of the apple
Dinner:  Steak, salad, and mashed cauliflower.  Oh but wait there's more detailed awesome...



The steak was Nathan's domain (as always) and he went the classic route of olive oil, salt, and pepper.  In the meantime I was getting creative with the cauliflower.  I put it to steam it for about ten minutes, and while that was going on I sauteed just shy of a full bulb of garlic with olive oil and fresh rosemary from the garden.  Once that was all done I dumped it all into the food processor with plenty of salt and pepper, some olive oil, and a little hot water for good measure (turned out I did not need that water- next time I'll know).  Pulsed for a bit, then left it whirring it's little head off while I made a salad from butter lettuce with a vinaigrette dressing.  I have a particular vinegar I normally use for this, and in the past I used canola oil, but since the vinegar has brown sugar in it and the canola is on my long-term no-no list from the doctor, I got out of my little box and used olive oil and apple cider vinegar (plus salt, pepper, and fresh scallions, of course).  All in all it was highly satisfying, and not for a single moment today have I felt deprived (although maybe a little jealous as Nathan added a dollop of butter to his cauliflower...)

So as far as food goes I'm in a pretty good and optimistic mood, and damn grateful that herbs and spices are on the "YES" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment