1.04.2018

Toad Son Study

I decided just to do a little tiny painting today, to practice my patience-with-drying.  And I'm pleased to report that I did manage to summon enough patience to do multiple layers of color, although by the end I wanted to pull my freaking hair out.  Someday I may achieve the advanced position of Gracious Patience, but that day is not today, no sirree.
Two colors laid down: a flat wash (yay flat wash!) of palest yellow, followed by pale ocher.

By far my favorite stage, with five layers in various areas.  Probably  definitely should have stopped here.  ::sigh::
Things were out of control by this point, but what was I going to do?  I HAD COMMITTED TO SCREWING MYSELF OVER.
And then when I decided things were looking questionable enough that the only thing that might salvage the situation was some really nice inking, I lost my damn mind and decided, rather than inking this 1"x2" painting with my sensible .005 micron pen, to instead try using my new travel water brush because why would I use a tool I'm well-versed with when I could struggle with one I haven't mastered yet?  Ha ha hah, oh Rationality, why do you even try?
::sigh::  I chose... poorly.
Even still, staring at what resulted, a part of my brain whispered, "No no, it's cool- just... just go back in with some dramatic black shadows!" but I told that part of my brain to shut up, that we were getting out while the getting still retained some trace element of imagined dignity.  And I did.

Yay learning!

(It will be entertaining to look back over these a year from now, and laugh at my progress... I hope...)

No comments:

Post a Comment