5.01.2013

ReDetox: Day One (or: Man, I'm Getting So Good at Starting Over)


Yes indeedy, it's that time again- time for me to take all the naughty things out of my diet in an attempt to reset my system back to "not painful".  I've made my meal plan for the month (although, like the first time, I am only committing to three weeks) and I'm psychically girded.  Speaking of the first time, I'm following the same guidelines (minus the gross powder) and cutting out All Things Inflammation Causing (since that is what's causing me so much pain right now).  I'm not sure what it was that I over-indulged (I'm leaning toward dairy or eggs or perhaps even pineapple), but in a few weeks it will be out of my system and I can start fresh.

It's amazing how much my diet has changed since that first detox- for example, I am definitely hard-core carnivore these days, to the point where I don't even really need to report what I have for breakfast each day because nine times out of ten?  It's bacon.  And my lunch?  Is leftovers from the night before.  Which means that primarily my "meal planning" consists of "dinner planning, and it is that, therefore, that I will share in the coming weeks (after this initial one, because you don't know what I had for dinner last night, after all...)

Breakfast: bacon
Snack: apples
Lunch: leftover roasted chicken and Brussels sprouts
Dinner: hash
Open wide!

Of course, "hash" doesn't tell you much, so allow me to describe how we do hash.

First you cube one sweet potato and one yam (thus neatly side-stepping the whole, "Which is which?" debate)...
I recommend using a handsome kitchen aid...

...as well as an onion (or a half- really this meal sort of comes down to "what do we have on hand right now?).  Heat some coconut oil in a dutch oven (or, you know, whatever- I used about three tablespoons this time around) and then saute the fauxtatoes for about six minutes.  Add the onions and some minced garlic (I cheated and used the jar stuff- about a teaspoon), and throw some spices on that business.  Today I used salt, black pepper, lots of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, plenty of cumin, and some allspice.  Feel free to add spicier stuff (chili powder, cayenne) if you're not avoiding nightshades.
Add "dutch oven" to my list of Favorite Kitchen Tools, whydon'tcha?

Saute until the onions start to go translucent (say three minutes?), then take a moment to chop up your ground beef, because that makes your life much easier, promise:
It's not NECESSARY to leave bits of onion on the knife, but it makes me feel like a rebel...

Toss it in!  Brown it up!  Once you're nearly all brown, reduce heat to about medium, cover...
True Science Fact: food tastes better when cooked in attractive pots.

...and let that business cook for about fifteen minutes or until fauxtatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.  Serve warm and scarf it up!  Sometimes, if I'm feeling bold, I'll serve it over a bed of nummy spaghetti squash, but tonight was more about laziness than boldness, so we just ate it straight.
It doesn't hurt to serve it in attractive bowls, either.

 But this is the proof that being lazy doesn't have to mean forgoing delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment