5.06.2013

ReDetox: Days Five and Six (or: Under Pressure)

Yesterday was a gorgeous day, temps in the eighties and not a cloud in the sky.  So what was I doing?

Cleaning the house.

And then I looked around at all my animals and saw that they were every one of them sleeping in the sun, so I went outside to clean the house.

Which is to say, I pressure-washed the fence.  Behold the glorious difference:
Gentle Readers, life in the PNW does lend itself towards mold.
It took me about two hours to do the whole thing, at which point I felt I'd earned the right to read in the shade for a while, which I did.

Dinner was New York strip and roasted cauliflower (seasoned with salt, pepper, and parsley).  It was obscenely tasty.  Also I had my first craving- it was for honey, of course.  But no crankiness yet.

Today's Grand Adventure was putting my brand new lead climbing skills to good use*.  KB and I spent a good two hours working the overhang, and by the end of it I was exhausted.  Hell, by the end of the first route I was pretty damn tired.  Overhang kicks my ass, because I don't boulder like I should.  Needless to say, by the end of our session I was covered in sweat, shaking, and had raw hands- but I felt amazing, way more challenged that I've been in a long time, and it was in this truly excellent mood that I made my way home to start dinner.

 Dinner was to be another sort of hash, this one served over the ever-useful spaghetti squash.
 
My Katie taught me about this tasty fellow.

No sweet potatoes or yams this time, however; I was feeling more Italian than Mexican, and that meant fresh herbs.
Rosemary!  From my very own garden!
After the spaghetti squash had gone in the oven, I warmed some olive oil on medium-high, then tossed in an onion, garlic, rosemary, and thyme.  It smelled like friggin' heaven.  Sauteed that business until the onions began to soften...
Mmm, fragrant!
...then tossed in ground beef with some salt and pepper.  Easy peasy.  Browned it up, then covered it and let it simmer for about eight minutes (because that was how long the squash had left to bake).  Once all the timers had dinged, I combined and scarfed, because I was friggin' hungry.

Photo-bombed by a pig.

And now it is well past my bedtime, but I still need to get my guitar-practice on.  Which should be interesting, considering the state of my hands...







*old school (/eidetic) readers might be saying, "Brand new?  I thought she took that class last year..." and you'd be right; I did take that class last year.  And then I almost immediately thereafter jacked up my ankle, and never really practiced what I'd learned- and so I took a refresher course this past Saturday, so as to be more useful during outdoor climbing adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment