5.02.2013

ReDetox: Day Two (or: Sweet is as Sweet Does)

Tonight's dinner was pork chops with apples and shallots.  It had its origins in this recipe, with only a few little tweaks to make it detox-friendly (their book, by the way, is definitely worth the investment).

I sliced up two apples nice and thin, along with a nice fat shallot, and then I sautéed 'em up on medium-high in about five tablespoons of coconut oil, until the apples started to soften.
WARNING: this will start smelling heavenly in a shockingly short amount of time

While that was going on I dumped a bunch of cinnamon (and only a little bit of salt) on the pork chops, and rubbed 'em up right.  Once the apple/shallot mix was done I put it aside in a bowl (using a slotted spoon so as to leave the apple/shallot infused oil) and plunked down the meat to sear for about two minutes on each side.
Actually this step smells pretty awesome, too.

Once searing was achieved I added 1/4 cup water, brought to a simmer, then dumped the apples and shallots back on top, reduced the heat to medium, covered and let it do it's thang for about eight minutes.

Why you gotta' deprive me of my smells, lid?
And then?  We ate it alllll up!

Man, it almost ended up being just plain ol' "pork chops and shallots", because I could not stop eating the apples!  Sautéing them brought out such an incredible sweetness that I couldn't help but feel like I was doing something incredibly naughty by having them for dinner.

Tomorrow is day three.  Day three is, in my experience, when I start to get Cranky about detoxing.  Here's hoping I break that pattern...

No comments:

Post a Comment