4.09.2013

MY Elves on the Shelves

As I have mentioned before, I am (and have been for over two decades now) an ElfQuest fan.  Not nearly so obsessive as I once may have been (because who can match the obsessions of one's preadolescence), but I maintain a certain nostalgia...
...and a decent collection of books.
Aaaaanyway, I keep moderately aware of What's Going On With ElfQuest (35 year anniversary!  Woo!) by following them on the Book of Faces, and as such I took a bit of time today to read this article, which I enjoyed.

The author illustrated the article with his own ElfQuest fan art from the 80s, and it made me oh-so-nostalgic for the hours and hours my Katie and I spent drawing (reams and reams worth of) elves.  This nostalgia drove me to do a couple of quick sketches from memory, to see how deeply ingrained the images were in my psyche:

Leetah
Doodled at work, photographed with phone.  Quality!
Not bad, not bad.  Certainly better than what I was churning out at age 12 (and thank heavens for that).  Her nose is far too large to be mistaken for a Pini elf (differently proportioned than humans, y'know), but that is just my style and my style makes me happy, which is actually something of a relief to finally be able to recognize and say.

One of these days I may go more into depth re:the extent of my obsession with ElfQuest (I may even dig through ye old archives for adolescent artwork), but not tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment