8.16.2011

Pemberly, Tara, Ashgrove... and Timaru

That is a Smooch of Ownership.

The last two evenings have been spent in a whirlwind of dusting and scrubbing and vacuuming, but now at last our new home is at the super-ultra-clean Starting Point I wanted it to be.  Nathan, game fellow that he is, went along with the madness in spite of his firmly stated opinion that the house was already clean.  (And it was, but not by my inner-German-grandmother standards...)

Which means that now we can start moving stuff in- which we did, actually.  Mostly just a few (of the many) boxes of books, but it's deeply satisfying to see some of our stuff in our house.  Which, as you may have gathered, I have christened "Timaru".  I came across the word in a poem and thought, "Oh what a lovely sound- that would be a perfect name for our new house!"  And then I thought, "Hmm, I'd better make sure it doesn't mean something like 'dung beetle'," so I looked it up and lo-and-behold, it's a city in New Zealand that takes its name from the Māori phrase Te Maru, meaning 'place of shelter'.  Which means that "Timaru" is, in fact, the perfect name for our new house.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome name! Todd was the first person I've met who has had names for all of his homes....his are more of acquired nicknames though. But I like coming right out with a name like you guys have. People just don't do that anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I have definitely encountered the "acquired nicknames" houses. I used to party at "Theater House" and "Fife House", and I lived in "The Happy Meal House" for a year in college... my mother's parents have lived in "The Little Yellow House" since I was a wee one, and we've always called it that- I think that's why I have such a weakness for yellow houses now... What do you guys call your current place? Or is it "Little Hollow"?

    ReplyDelete