1.06.2010

Have Brilliance, Will Caption

While I would dearly love to write something creative and mind-blowing this evening, the truth is that I am too tired, and still have much to much to do before tomorrow. Thus you get a nice, self-involved blog-entry. ^_^

I will take a moment, however, to tout my husband's shot o' the day:

Jadis Was Here

The title was a collaboration (I wanted to call it "Jadis Comes" or "The Approach of Jadis" or somesuch dramatic thing- Nate preferred a more humorous route...)

I feel that there is so much beauty in the unspoken implication of that title (Jadis being the White Queen's true name, for those of you rusty on your Narnian trivia) that it would be a shame to take away from it by trying to hammer it into the definitive shape of a story. Hence normal blog entry...

But that's an interesting thought, isn't it? When the idea of the story is so much better than the story itself could ever be. I know that a lot of times one might use this as an excuse to just not write, but I think that occasionally it's a true thing. Especially if one just doesn't have the craft (or life-experience) yet to write it. I used to run into that problem a lot with my art, when I was younger. I could feel it in my head/heart- maybe even visualize it- but my skill just wasn't up to the task. So frustrating! Which is why I completely recommend formal training (and a crap-ton of practice) to any aspiring artists... the honing of craft is every bit as important as the divine inspiration.

I've had some more thoughts on my little heart-dragon concept, as well, but I think they need some more percolating before I bring them to the blog. It is funny how we can (potentially) turn the mundane events of our lives into fantastical stories, isn't it?

On a closing note, I will share with you a fantastic phrase that I coined today (in reference to my best friend and myself after an hour-long mutual bitch session): Sisterhood of the Shrieking Harpies. Applicants welcome. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment