2.27.2018

Last Unicorn Spread

The last time I got on here (a little over a week ago) I shared a painting I'd done of the Lady Amalthea, and mused that I might do a related drawing the next night.  Well, a dear friend of mine requested that I make good on said musing, so I now present to you the results of my endeavors from Sunday the 18th through Friday the 23rd:
Click to Embiggen- or just keeps scrolling...

It's kind of cool to have an entire two-pages in my sketchbook devoted to one subject.  I may try that again in the future.  In fact, I know I will.  Anyway...

Here are close-ups on The Bull...
It was fun to experiment with the background on this one.
...and The Unicorn...
I didn't get QUITE the mother-of-pearl effect I was going for with the horn, but OH WELL.
It's been a huge relief to let myself work on single images across several days (one or two nights for linework, and then more for colors) rather than churn out finished sketches every day- I'm 100% going to keep this up as I'm studying for my various licenses (which means through May) and I may keep it up for the rest of the year... we'll see...  It gives me breathing room to do more intricate things, which you will see evidence of in my next post (of a piece that I've worked on for four days straight,  now).  It's bringing these things into a weird place that can't be called "sketch" anymore, but also isn't truly "finished piece", either- but that's alright; I've always loved the in-between-y spaces.  And, honestly, it's making for a super-fun sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment