10.26.2012

Derdriu

You guys remember when I went to Ireland, right?  Sure you do.  Remember when I went to the Cruachan Ai Heritage Center, and learned how ignorant I was about Irish Mythology (outside of fairy tales)?  And remember how I picked up a translation of the Táin?  Well I've finally gotten around to reading it, which means I am being introduced to a colorful new cast of characters.  Take, for example, Derdriu.
Much is made of her hair being both yellow and long.

Man, let me just say this chick gets screwed.  By, like, everyone.  People are all, "Kill it!" when she's born, just because she's destined to be the most beautiful woman in the world and "bring evil".  And the dude that keeps her from being killed?  Only does it because he wants to hit that once she's older.  And when she decides to not make it with the creepy old dude, thank you very much, but instead go marry a man of her own choosing, it's death and betrayal and exile all over the damn place.  Plus more imprisonment and finally suicide.  I mean honestly.  Not to mention what comes after that...

And why is it all these old myths have to have at least one super-hot chick to blame things on?  "Oh, the men have gone to war but it's all Helen's fault.  You know."

"Bring evil," indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment