7.30.2011

When Love is Stronger Than Fear

The last wedding I was at, Responsibilities were Required of me.  That was fine- I love weddings, and I love being In Charge of Things, so it was win-win, in my estimation.  Today's wedding, on the other hand, I got to be Just a Guest, and I have to say- that was pretty great, too.  Especially since this was the first wedding (since our own) that I got to bring Nathan with me, so on top of my typical "I love weddings and happy people!" blubbering there was also, "Oh remember what we did at our wedding?" blubbering (on my part, anyway).  Also the thing that, had you asked me before this evening, I'd have sworn would never happen:

Ladies and gentlemen, my husband danced with me.  On a dance floor.  In public.  There were witnesses!  Possibly even photographic evidence!  It was... so incredibly moving, because he is a person that does not dance.  Can not dance, to hear him tell it.  He does not "get" expressing one's self through The Art of Dance, and he is embarrassed by my proclivity for busting a move wherever/whenever (especially in grocery stores).  It should therefore come as no surprise that, when the dancing portion of the reception started, I was out on the dance floor with some other brave souls getting my Exuberance on, while Nathan calmly sipped beer and shot photos from the safe seclusion of our table.  So when Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" started playing and I made pitiful eyes at him, I did not actually expect him to respond beyond his typical head shake.  But...  he didn't shake his head.  He took off his camera, stood up, and walked over to me- and we danced!

And readers, I almost started crying again.  Happy crying, because it was such a perfect example of him valuing me more than his own pride.  I know he was afraid of looking like a fool on the dance floor, but he got out there, anyway, because he knew it would mean something to me.

And that's the secret, all you non-life-partnered peeps wondering just what it is you you should be looking for: happily ever after is not a magic trophy that someone hands you when you get everything Just Right.  It's found in those small moments when love overcomes fear.

1 comment: