7.01.2011

Not How I Imagined My Day Ending

I was expecting it to be a good day.

I got to sleep in a little, rolled in to work about half an hour later than I normally do (but still before opening, so I was fine), and then had enough work to keep me occupied (but not overwhelmed or annoyed) until the market closed at 1300.  I'd already arranged with my boss to shut things down at that point, so I flipped the sign to Closed, changed back into my cycling gear (yes, I'm now one of those people) and enjoyed the hell out of my ride home in the summer sun.


Nathan and I were scheduled to do three walk-throughs starting at 1400 (hence my having arranged a short day), so I got about half an hour of decompression time before it was back out the door once more.  The first house we looked at was shockingly appealing (especially at the price).  I'd been a little dubious about that one, but Nathan was adamant it had serious potential.  I'm so glad he was right!

The second house was the one I was really excited about- another little yellow house (are we seeing a trend here?  Perhaps...) that was suspiciously charming on the outside, and in the photos.  But we'd been burned before, so our hopes weren't super high as we drove over.

When our agent got out of the car he had a sheepish look on his face- turned out he'd left his Realtor key back at his office (I cannot judge- I got to work the other day and had to call Nathan to drive over and bring me my keys...).  I told him we didn't mind sitting on the porch while he ran back to get it, so that's what we did.  Well, after a while.  First I sat on the tree swing in the back, and then we sat on a little garden wall and imagined kids playing in the grass.  Then we sat on the back porch and enjoyed the cool breeze.  Then we moved to the front porch and sat on the bench there and decided we'd rather have a pair of rockers.  We were definitely falling in love with all the exterior aspects of the house (and I decided I wanted to be best friends with the current owners- they compost, and have a rain barrel, and a little veggie garden, and bicycles, and impeccable style as evidenced by the subtle red detailing about the windows) but again- trying not to get sucked in before we saw the interior.

Then our agent returned, key in hand, and we finally got to see the inside.

Love.  It is the most perfect, perfect house.  It is exactly what we were looking for.  Completely.  No compromises.  Beautifully updated and maintained- you can tell the people that live there genuinely love that house, and have taken care of it accordingly (so important).  It even smelled clean.  Actually clean, not just "I threw some pine-sol down about twenty minutes ago" clean; after doing as many walk-throughs as I now have, I cannot tell you how rare that is.

We went to look at the third house, but it was just for form's sake.  It was a decent place, but after seeing the Yellow House, nothing can compare.  I asked our Realtor if there were any offers on it- he said no, and I felt downright insulted on behalf of the house.

So we remedied the situation.

That's right, gentle readers: we made an offer on a house today.  So not at all what I had in mind when I woke up this morning.  And thus the day ends, not "good" as I had imagined, but rather "great".




(....and I struggle to balance optimism and non-attachment....)

No comments:

Post a Comment