11.27.2017

Thomelisa Taken, Pt XXVII

Nothing responded- I’d have to go out into the world to try it.  Deep winter was not, perhaps, the best time to go searching for small animals to speak with, but I didn’t dare set off on the real journey until I was sure of it.

And then I laughed aloud.  Why the obsession with small animals?  This spell should allow me to communicate with any animal, including the chickens that were even now nestled down in their little straw-filled house.

I drew myself up slowly- how long before my stamina recovered?- threw a warm blanket around my shoulders, and slipped my feet into my fur-lined boots by the door.  There was fresh snow on the ground, a full six inches that hadn’t been there when I’d begun the spell.  I carved a dark path through it as I shuffled out to the chicken coup, the little crystals slipping in beneath my blanket and soaking the hem of my shift.  After this I would take a warm bath, sleep myself out- and then I would leave.  After this.

I pulled the coup door open, letting in a little swirl of wind and snow, and the chicken closest to the door let out a small squawk of indignation.  My heart seemed to have taken up residence in my throat, forcing me to clear it twice before I managed to say,

“Sorry about the cold.”

“If you’re so sorry about it,” muttered the chicken, eyes squeezed resolutely shut, “Close the damn door.”

Gleefully I obeyed.  I understood her!  I scanned the yard for evidence of other creatures I might speak with.  A sudden shower of snow from a tree caused my eyes to whip upward in time to see the persimmon flash of a bullfinch, fluttering from one perch to another.

“If you come down to me,” I called out, “I will give you some berries.”

The little bird cocked its head, considering me.

“You’re a witch,” it said at last.  “And I’d be a fool to get within snatching distance of you.”

I laughed, delighted.  “Clever one!  But no- I’m not after any beating hearts today.  You’ve already given me what I need- I will leave you a great feast when I go, and you and your family may feast to your hearts’ content!”

No comments:

Post a Comment