11.24.2017

Thomelisa Taken, Pt XXIV

(here a bit, there a bit, everywhere a bitty bit...)

***

As I have mentioned, I’d been out of the game for a good long while- and more specifically I’d faked my death to get out.  Which meant I no longer had contact with any of my old… contacts.  Which meant that figuring out who was still in the game- or who the newcomers were and whether or not they’d be worth my time- was no easy process.  Ideally I’d want someone who, like myself, hadn’t been practicing magic for a while, and therefore would have a nice bit of power built up.  Which meant finding someone else who was so far out of the game that the others left them alone.  Which mean trying to figure out who, among those I believed to be dead, might not actually be dead- and then tracking them down.

Lovely.

The first step was identifying those whose deaths I had not a) directly caused or b) been present for (the overlap between those two groups was great, but not complete).  And then I examined the stories surrounding the deaths, looking for patterns that reminded me of the stories I’d put out around my death.

In the end, I came up with two names.  Kvenna, and Roshen.  The two had supposedly destroyed one another in a duel, but even at the time I’d found that tale suspect.  Roshen was a powerful witch, to be certain, but he lacked Kvenna’s finesse- the two of them had had completely different styles.  He might have blown her apart, or she might have stripped the blood from his veins, but it seemed unlikely that the two of them would have chosen spells similar enough to one another that they’d have wound up reverberating the two of them into oblivion.  At the time I hadn’t cared enough to pursue it (although I had made a stop by Kvenna’s dwelling to raid her supplies- the lack of protection on them was evidence enough that she wasn’t planning on coming back) but now… now perhaps I would be so lucky as to find not one, but two power sources for my spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment