12.03.2011

The Adventures of Weenie McSissyPants

After my excellent reintroduction to climbing the other evening, I was very excited to get up and go bouldering this morning.  I waltzed into the gym about an hour after they opened, found it pleasingly underpopulated, and slipped on my shoes.  Then I sauntered over to the empty bouldering area, stretched out, sat back, and considered my routes.

I shall start with a V0, I thought.  Just to get warmed up.  And then move my way up until I get tired.  No need to rush right into a V2.

No need, indeed, gentle readers, for that V0 I first tried my hand(s) at was only just barely conquered- and it was my only victory of the morning.  I was swiftly- and humbly- reminded how much freaking harder bouldering is than harness climbing, especially when most of the bouldering area seems to consist of overhangs.  Verily, my hiney was most thoroughly kicked.

And so it was I found myself taking my shoes off after about half an hour of good-faith effort, the words weenie mcsissypants floating through my head.  Fortunately, however, Older and Wiser O was able to counter those words with, "For the love of stars, you haven't bouldered in at least six years.  It is going to take time to build your muscles back up.  Not to mention your technique.  So just be pleased that you managed to complete even one problem, and then go look at the message board for someone you might want to be belay partners with."

And I did.

1 comment:

  1. hooray for positive mature attitudes. I have a few stories of my own :) Love you! and I"m happy you're getting back into climbing. I need to get back to it too.

    ReplyDelete